Digital transformation is a hot topic in enterprises these days, and like any such topic it’s associated with a wide range of use, overuse, and misuse. But the phrase does get at something that we can all sense is really going on, a truly profound change. As different businesses undergo or undertake variants of digital transformation, we see a number of common characteristics of the more digital world:
- More things happen (or are expected to happen) in real time
- More different sources and kinds of data are brought together
- Activities are more decentralized and ad hoc
- There is a broadening of participation in both the building and the use of I.T.
- There is a shift from analysis and planning to trial-and-error experimentation
Each of those ideas deserves elaboration–topics for future blogs–but going for the moment with whatever came to mind for those bullets as a rough characterization of digital transformation, let’s explore the interplay of architecture, process, and platform in helping enterprises compete and succeed in this emerging digital world.
Continue reading “Architecture, Process, Platform”